Concerns & complaints
The HQCA focuses on promoting and improving health service quality and patient safety at a broad system level. We are mandated by the Health Quality Council of Alberta Act.
While our legislation does not include a role for the HQCA in addressing individual healthcare concerns, we do rely on the voices of Albertans to help us determine areas that can be improved and provide direction to our work. We survey Albertans about their experiences with the healthcare system to identify important opportunities for improvement, and we report what we learn to our healthcare stakeholders.
If you have had a negative experience with the health system, there are several avenues you can take to have your concern or complaint addressed, depending on the nature of your concern. Links to these resources are below. You can also access more detailed information on the Alberta Health website.
Office of the Alberta Health Advocates
The Office of the Alberta Health Advocates is the place where Albertans can go to for advice and help in dealing with their healthcare issues. They can help direct you to the appropriate resource. Visit their website for detailed information and links health, mental health, and seniors’ health resources.
Concerns about your patient experience
If you have had a negative experience with the delivery of care provided by Alberta Health Services:
- Alberta Health Services Patient Relations – Patient Feedback.
If you have had a negative experience with the delivery of care provided by Covenant Health:
- Covenant Health Patient Relations – Patient Feedback
Concerns about your healthcare provider
If you have a complaint about a specific healthcare provider:
- College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta – Patient Advocates
- College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta – Complaints
- Alberta College of Pharmacists – Complaints
- Alberta Federation of Regulated Health Professionals – Complaints this includes healthcare providers such as physiotherapists, occupational therapists, dentists, optometrists, and more
Concerns about the health system
If you have concerns about topics specific to how healthcare is delivered, such as funding,
Concerns about how your complaint was handled
If you are concerned about the fairness of how a complaint was handled by any of the parties mentioned above: Alberta Ombudsman