Just culture is an atmosphere of trust in which healthcare workers are supported and treated fairly when something goes wrong with patient care. Just culture is important to patient safety as it creates an environment in which people (healthcare workers and patients) feel safe to report errors and concerns about things that could lead to patient adverse events. Reports of errors and patient safety hazards are important sources of information about weaknesses in the system that need to be addressed by a learning culture to improve patient safety.
The Just Culture website provides:
- A list of Alberta organizations who are committed to creating a just culture, and by extension, a safety culture in our healthcare system.
- Information about just culture and its relationship to a safety culture.
- Information about just culture for different healthcare stakeholders including patients and families.
- Resources that can help organizations establish a framework and actions to support a just culture.
- An approach and tools for the fair assessment of people involved in a patient safety incident that considers their actions in context.